As someone who spent a great chunk of his life living in United States, I have been always asked about my experiences and insight on how the life in America was. Well, I always had a though time coming up with an interesting time most of the time but I would say this that America has changed me.
For someone coming from other side of Atlantic, it is a culture shock at first. There is a 7 hours time difference that you need to quickly get used to. You sleep in the middle of day and then get up after midnight which really messes you up. I had used to living in a big city with high buildings and daily traffic jams before moving to America. On the other hand, I found myself living in a suburb which is completely different experience. First, the public transportation is scarce so almost everybody drives other then the homeless people. People give you funny looks if you walk on the pedestrian sideways.
To be continued..
1. Skype : I have been using Skype for years to video chat with my parents and friends that don’t live in same city, to make calls to out of country, and even for interviews with potential employers.
2. WordPress: I just have discovered this app but it is amazing that I can write, edit, and publish to my personal Website anywhere in the World.
3. Flashlight: No need for explanation due to its usefullness at night in dark alleys.
4. Google Maps: In Istanbul, you can’t really trust the Taxi drivers to take you to exact place of place where gou are interested thus this app becomes really usefull and you can find your way with directions once you are near the place.
5. Foursquare: Perfect app to do research about places before you go.
6. Viber: Really cool app to make phone calls to anywhere in the world free and send text messages.
7. Twitter: I use this app when I get bored or when I run out of things to say in a social setting.
8. Tunein Radio: Allows me to listen to any radio including NPR.
9. NPR: Best source for what is happening in the U.S.
10. Whatsapp: Well so many ppl are using this in Turkey. I like it since I can create groups and send out messages to group.
11. Note Evetything: (Bonus) Take notes and search anything. I love this app since I don’t need to worry about saving since it is in autosave mode.
Yes It is always about me, me, and ME! Just kidding lol 🙂
I have decided to create a blog since it seems to be very popular nowadays and I like reading other ppl’s blogs. I am always jealous of those people who have written their experiences and contributed to total mankind information out there.
Professionally as an Oracle specialist, I have to hats. One is for database administration aka DBA, and the other being is Oracle PL/SQL programming. So if this sounds like gibberish to you, don’t sweat. Your takeaway should be that I am good with computers.
My life was also unique. I lived and went to university in Turkey before moving to United States for better opportunities and getting my master’s degree in Information Technology. I lived in the states for 13 (yes thirteen in writing) before moving back to Turkey across Atlantic.
This is my first year since I moved back and as usual with returning expats, I am having the reverse culture shock. Well, Istanbul is a really BIG city and it takes time to get used to even for those who come from other cities in Turkey.